RECIPE: SWEET POTATO FRITTERS
With summer just around the corner these lovely fritters will be perfectly served as a light meal with a fresh salad, or as a yummy accompaniment to your summer BBQ’s!
The humble sweet potato is packed with a powerful antioxidant called beta-carotene. This is very effective at raising vitamin A blood levels. Vitamin A has multiple functions: it is important for growth and development; it aids the maintenance of the immune system; promotes good vision.
Preparation: Easy to make
Chilli Herb Dressing:
- 1/4 red chili, deseeded & chopped
- 30ml fresh basil, chopped
- 30ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 100ml olive oil
- 20ml lemon juice
- 20ml honey
- Grease proof paper
1 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup white gluten free flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
- Paper kitchen towel
- Frying Pan
- Baking Tray
Set oven to 150°C / 120°C for fan ovens. Cover baking tray with greaseproof paper.
Mix all the ingredients together for the dressing.
In a bowl, whisk together the sweet potato puree and egg. Add the dry ingredients. If the mixture seems too runny, add more flour. Mix until ingredients have combined to ensure fluffy fritters. Do not over-mix.
Use some kitchen paper-towel dipped in oil to wipe frying pan. Heat pan on stove for 2-3 minutes. Drop the sweet potato mixture in rounded spoonfuls onto the pan.
Fry over medium heat, 3-4 minutes on the first side or until golden-brown. Turn to the other side (oil wipe pan again if need be before replacing fritter) and fry 3-4 minutes on the second side.
Pop finished fritters on baking tray. Place in oven until all the fritters are cooked for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with drizzled chilli herb dressing.
This recipe is suitable for vegetarians and it is gluten free.
- You can use standard flour for a non-gluten free version.
- It’s perfectly fine to fry the fritters in batches, popping fried fritters on tray in oven.
- For a typical South African treat, perfect with Sunday roast.
- Omit the salad dressing and sprinkle the fritters with cinnamon sugar. Pure comfort food.
- These fritters are lovely, served with a large salad on the side. For a meal packed with Vitamin A, add grated carrots to the salad.
Fiona Kelly Photography
- Food Styling & Recipe Development: Delicieux Cakes