RECIPE: BROCCOLLI & PEAR SOUP
This recipe was created because of pure guilt! Yes, the guilt that I experience each year after I’ve indulged on the wonderful treats of the festive season: warm mince pies, cinnamon flavoured mulled wine and flute glasses of champagne.
So, soothe your conscience with this tasty and super healthy broccoli and pear soup. It is low in calories, suitable for vegetarians, gluten free and really easy to make!
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 30ml olive oil
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 pears, deseeded and diced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 300g broccoli, chopped
- black pepper
- 5ml sea salt
- 6 litre casserole pot
- black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
Easy to prepare (45 min)
Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft. Add the diced sweet potato and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the pears, lemon juice from the lemon and vegetable stock. Cook on a medium heat until the sweet potato cubes are soft.
Add the broccoli and black pepper and cook until the broccoli turns bright green and slightly soft. Take off the heat and let the mixture cool down for at least 5-10 minutes before blending it into a smooth soup. Add salt according to taste.
Garnish with grated parmesan cheese, a swirl of olive oil and black pepper. Fresh slices of wholemeal or sourdough bread are the perfect accompaniment.
- If you don’t like peeling sweet potatoes, bake them with their skin on in the oven until soft. Let them cool down, halve them and scoop the content out of the skins. Add the sweet potatoes to the cubed pears and cook until the pears are soft.
- You don’t need to peel the pears.
- For a more savoury flavour, replace the sweet potatoes with potatoes.
- For foodies, add crispy smoked bacon bits or a dollop of creamy Gorgonzola