DIY + WIN: FESTIVE FLUORO FLORALS
The tree is up, there’s a wreath on the door, and my house is looking suitably dressed for Christmas as I’m sure yours is too! There’s one thing I’ve yet to decide on, and that’s the decor for the all-important Christmas table. I love to make it super pretty, a tradition started by my mum, by creating something pretty whether it be a festive garland, candle display or bauble centrepiece. This year I’m thinking florals, so I was super pleased when florist Joanne Truby offered to create something super special for me to share on B.LOVED.
A mix of traditional Christmas foliage, pinecones and fir, with a pop of fluorescent pink, this is sure to be adding some much needed colour to my table this year. We know you love a DIY project, so we persuded Joanne to share her step-by-step Christmas centrepiece tutorial with us too..
And if you’re just too busy in the run up to Christmas we’d love to help one lucky B.LOVED reader take one thing off your to-do list this Christmas – by giving you the chance to win your very own festive centerpiece (all the pretty, none of the work!). To enter just leave a comment below or on our Instagram and tell us all about your festive home decor this year (you could even tag us in a pic!)
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 mini oasis deco with tray
- Florist pot tape
- A candle
- Florist Stub Wire
- Reel Wire
- Floristry Scissors or secateurs
- Foliage – ½ bunch of berried ivy, 1/4 bunch of seeded eucalyptus, ¼ bunch of mimosa, 1 bunch of viburnum berries and ½ bunch of skimmia.
- 4 Succulents
- Eucalyptus pods
- 3 Pine cones
- Cinnamon sticks
- Soak the oasis in a bowl of water
- Secure the oasis onto the tray by taping it down using the florist pot tape at each end.
- Bend 4 florist stub wires to make an ‘n’ shape
- Tape all 4 ‘n’ shape wires to the bottom of the candle to create an anchor.
- Push the candle into the center of the oasis
- Cut the foliage to approx. 10cm long & start placing the foliage in the oasis (start with the berried ivy) inserting the stems at an angle.
- Once you have your initial shape you can then start to add in the other foliage’s, ensuring that you are keeping to the same length.
- Keep turning the arrangement around as you insert the stems to ensure you get an even coverage all round.
- Using the stub wire push it into the center of each succulent to create a stake, and then push into the oasis.
- Arrange the succulents evenly throughout the arrangement, one placed on each side surrounding the candle in the middle.
- Attach the reel wire to the pine cones leaving one long bit then push into the oasis, placing evenly throughout the arrangement.
- Secure two cinnamon sticks together using the reel wire by knotting or twisting the two ends add the pink ribbon over the top to hide the wire & push the wire into the oasis.
- Light the candle & voilà!
You could of course choose lots of other colour combinations, such as red & white for something more traditional or even add gold along with other classic festive decor such as dried fruits. You can spray paint items to adorn the foliage or even add glitter and mini baubles for a more glam look!
For 2015, Joanne has created her very own ‘Festive Florals’ range for your home, creating everything from door wreaths to stair and mantlepiece garlands to showstopping centrepieces from just £35. This fully bespoke service is available throughout South East London and the Kent borders, with free delivery within 5 miles of Bromley and £5 outside of this. Last orders for Christmas delivery is Monday 14th December 2015.
Competition Terms & Conditions
Competition is open to anyone over 18 and resident in the UK. Competition closes at Midnight on Monday 14th December 2015. The prize is one small candle centrepiece. The winner will be notified by email and has 24 hours to respond. No cash alternative. The decision taken by the promoter is final. No purchase necessary.