RECIPE: GRILLED HALLOUMI, STICKY DATE & BACON SKEWERS
I used three of my favourite ingredients to create this delicious treat. It can double as a light appetiser or as a perfect accompaniment at a summer barbeque. It combines rustic rosemary, sticky, gooey dates and salty halloumi; individual ingredients that have stood the test of time!
YOU WILL NEED:
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water overnight
- Grease proof paper
- Baking tray
- Halloumi Cheese
- Smoked Bacon
- Medjool Dates, pitted
- Yellow or Red Pepper, sliced
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
- ½ Lemon
- 25ml Honey
- Coarse Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
Set oven to 150°C / 120°C for fan ovens. Cover baking tray with greaseproof paper.
Slice the halloumi cheese in 1cm thick slices. Cut the bacon in 5cm long strips. Deseed the pepper and cut in 0.5cm strips.
Weave cheese, dates, smoked bacon with pepper strips on the skewers. Drizzle with olive oil. Arrange rosemary sprigs between the skewers.
Grill in oven for 10 -15 minutes until the cheese and bacon have acquired a golden colour, and the bacon is cooked.
Remove from heat, drizzle with fresh lemon juice, honey and olive oil. Flavour with black pepper and coarse sea salt. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is gluten free
- For a vegetarian treat omit the bacon
- These skewers taste amazing if grilled over a slow burning fire
- Replace the pepper slices with pickled peppadews (available at large supermarkets)
- For a vegan option replace the halloumi cheese with tofu, omit the bacon and replace the honey with maple syrup