How to Hygge
If you’ve not heard of the term Hygge (pronounced hue-gah) then you must have been hiding under a rock. It’s the new ‘thing’ and we have the super cool Danes to thank. Considered to be among the happiest people in the world, they might just be onto something.
Whilst for some this may be seen as a passing trend, the actual sense of hygge has been around for many years. Hygge is all about being connected, being in the moment, appreciating the small things, sharing intimacy and belonging to a community.
This is naturally the perfect time of year to embrace all things hygge and for me it was as simple as just recognising my everyday rituals that already make me happy. Understanding how I already hygger in my own life has made me appreciate the simplicities of the everyday.
Like wrapping myself up in my cashmere shawl robe, snuggling under my warm duvet with a coffee in the morning, lighting a candle on my desk during these shorter days, misting my house plants, or simply sitting next to my love binge-watching the latest series of House of Cards on Netflix. That’s hygge (and romance) right there.
So how do you hygger…? What are your daily rituals…? Here’s a little something to get you in the mood and, if you want to learn more about this art of living, then you probably need this book. Gifted to me by a very lovely friend.
- Moodboard Design: Catharine Noble
- Clothing Image by: Mint Velvet
- Cinnamon Porridge with grated Pear Image by: BBC Food by Justine Pattison
- Bedding Image by: Annette O'Brien Photography
- Styled by: Alana Langdon of Hunt + Bow
- via: Cultiver
- Brass Lanterns Image by: Nordic House
- Birch Candles with Glitter Image by: Nordic House
- Mug and Blanket Image via: Giosmama
- Blanket Pile Image by: Ethan Allen
- Silver Tall Lanterns Image by: Nordic House
- Lounge + Sofa Image by: Creating Home
- via: Sheerluxe