PEACH, PARMA HAM & MOZZARELLA SUMMER SALAD
What’s summer without salads? I don’t mean a boring bowl of limp lettuce mixed with tomato and cucumber cubes. That’s not salad! Say goodbye to boring salads and embrace the era of funky, tasty salad dishes.
Fill beautiful trays or decorate rustic looking platters with the freshest fruit, vegetables and greens that you can get your hands on. Play with texture, colour and different flavours. There are no set rules.
In this recipe I have added protein in the form of ham, mozzarella and walnuts. This adds substance to the salad although you could easily replace it with lentils, feta cheese or chicken.
Also, don’t forget about adding an interesting salad dressing and fresh herbs. It’s as important for a salad as perfume to a lady.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
Easy to prepare (15 min)
- Half a French baguette
- Olive oil
- 4 fresh peaches
- 70g Parma ham, thinly sliced
- 125g Mozzarella cheese (mini balls or a large piece torn into smaller pieces)
- 100 – 140g fresh rocket leaves (or mixture of rocket with different leaves)
- Balsamic reduction/glaze or pomegranate syrup
- Half a lime or lemon
- Fresh basil leaves
- Handful of walnuts, crushed
- Coarse salt
- Black pepper
Use a large flat platter or wooden board with 8 skewers or kebab sticks
First prepare the croutons to add texture to the salad. Preheat your oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F/ gas 6.
Slice the baguette into 1cm thick slices and half if you prefer smaller size croutons. Drizzle sliced bread with olive oil. Pop in the warm oven until the bread slices have coloured to a toasty light brown. Take croutons out of the oven, sprinkle with salt and let them cool down.
Wash peaches. Slice in half, twisting two halves in opposite directions. They should come apart. Remove the pip and slice each half in 4 – 6 slices.
Now for the fun bit: use your creativity to assemble the salad. Scatter the different ingredients on a platter or board. You can either group the ingredients together or layer them on top of one another. For a finger food option or a starter, string them on kebab sticks.
Before serving, squeeze the juice of the lemon or lime over the salad. Drizzle with balsamic glaze or pomegranate syrup and olive oil. Scatter basil leaves and walnut pieces on top. Grind black pepper over the salad and sprinkle with a bit of coarse salt.
- Ready made croutons could be used
- For a healthier option, omit the croutons
- For vegan readers, omit the cheese, chicken or ham. Add some cooked, drained lentils instead
- Thinly sliced onions or chopped spring onions also work well in this salad
- Fresh apples or pears could be used instead of peaches
Why not share your efforts with us on Twitter using the hashtag #blovedbakes?