B.LOVED Edit Supplier Spotlight: Fiona Kelly Photography
If you’re looking for your wedding photographer, you’ll know that finding the right one goes beyond a portfolio of beautiful photographs. It’s also about trust, feeling comfortable and connecting with the right person. Today we’re shining the spotlight on Fiona Kelly Photography who has featured many times here on B.LOVED Blog and she is also one of our recommended photographers listed in the B.LOVED Edit wedding directory! Get to know more about Fiona and her work with this exclusive interview and of course lots of lovely imagery too!
Tell us about your style of photography
“I once asked some of my wedding couples what it was about my photography that appealed to them and how they would describe it. They came back with words like ‘beautiful’, ‘natural’, ‘fun’, ‘elegant’, ‘bright’, ‘relaxed’, ‘capturing wonderful moments’. This was the best description of my work I could get! Sometimes its hard to sum it up as I am so close to it. But when I read these words they were spot on. My photography work covers weddings, portraits, families, lifestyle and commercial work. I approach all with the same relaxed feel and the aim to capture wonderful moments and create natural, beautiful images. I like to bring a modern and bright style, with depth and colour.”
What do you love most about a wedding day?
“Wedding days are amazing. There is so much to love about working at them. The joy, the excitement, the love, the fun. I really do love the whole thing. It’s being there to photograph those special moments. It’s creating memories that are going to last a lifetime. It’s having a laugh with my couples during the portrait session. It’s being there to help and support when needed. I am very lucky that the couples I work with trust me implicitly on their wedding day. I get to know them ahead of time, so on the day it feel really personal. Because of this I know what is important to each couple and can capture photos they will love. One of the greatest complements I get is that my couples feel like they have another friend there, who just happens to be photographing their day.”
What would be your most important tips for couples?
- A photography tip… make sure you have enough time for everything you want to be photographed. The day whizzes past and you want to be able to enjoy it without being rushed. If you want family photos, make sure there is time to do them. If you want plenty of natural, candid photos this needs time. During the drinks reception the time flies for your photographer as lots happens at this point. Make sure you have enough time to do all the photos and enjoy a canapé, have a catch up with your guests and a glass of bubbly. I work with my couples to help them with timings and ensure everything is done and everyone has a great time too. Check out my blog post for top tips on perfect wedding day timings!
- A general wedding tip… make the choices right for you for your day. Bring your own wonderful, unique ideas to your day. If you like the idea of doing something, then do it.
- A photography tip… find a photographer who’s work you love, who you get on with and trust. Your photographer will be with you for a lot of the day, you need to be comfy with them and to trust them to do an amazing job for you.
What are your favourite details, colours and trends for 2019 weddings?
“I’m actually a bit rubbish at keeping up with yearly wedding trends! I go into each year excited to see what my couples bring to their day. The one colour trend I am aware of this year, however, is the Pantone colour of the year. Mainly because its one of my favourite colours and a colour that is a big part of my own branding…Living Coral! I am very excited about seeing this colour pop up at some weddings.”
Are there any particular venues you love to work at? What do you love about them?
I have a few venues I love to work at, but also really enjoy discovering new places too. A few of my faves are:
- Larmer Tree Gardens – this is the most beautiful place with amazing gardens, quirky details and you can get married outside.
- Nonsuch Mansion – a stunning building with lovely grounds. Lots of light, elegant features and plenty of space.
- Queens House – this is a wonderful, elegant venue in a beautiful location.
- Botleys Mansion – I worked here for the first time in 2018 and was blown away by the beautiful interiors. The team there are brilliant too.
- Horniman Museum – a little more low key and quirky, this is a great venue. There is the option to get married outside and the glasshouse is beautiful.
- Pembroke Lodge – I have been one of their recommended suppliers for a while and work here a few times a year. Its a lovely venue with amazing views, great gardens and an efficient team.
What made you fall in love with wedding photography?
“I was drawn to wedding photography after getting married myself. When I got married I had an official photographer to take photos during the ceremony, but one of my best friends took ones of us getting ready, in the car and after during drinks and dinner. When we looked at the photos after I was happy with the ones of the ceremony but the ones my friend had taken were just so full of life and captured so much more than just the events.
It was a real eye opener and I loved the idea of being able to do photos like this for a whole wedding. It wasn’t long after that I photographed my first wedding and that was it….I was totally hooked!
I loved being able to tell the stories that happen during the day. Watching people so you can capture the interactions and little moments. Creating a record of all the details that are carefully chosen and designed. Capturing beautiful, natural photos of the couple that they will treasure. I enjoy the whole process, from the initial planning and wedding chat, to the excitement of the day, through to working on the images and making them look even more special.”
- Photography: Fiona Kelly Photography