THE ONE WITH THE CHEAP WEDDING DRESS
For style-savvy brides on a budget, looking for that illusive perfect-yet-affordable wedding dress can seem almost as impossible as finding the perfect groom. While the high street has some great (and beautifully designed) options, when it comes to wedding dress shopping I’m all about that once in a lifetime experience… the beautiful boutique, the mood music, the friendly assistants on hand to help and advise.
Step in the sample sale. It’s ok, I know what you’re thinking (we all remember ‘The One with the Cheap Wedding Dress’ in Friends, right?!), but I promise it’s not all handbags at dawn and cowering ing in the dress rails à la Rachel! Our friends at David’s Bridal, who’s next bi-annual Sample Sale starts tomorrow (Friday 3rd June) have put together some fabulous bridal sample sale shopping tips just for you!
Check store hours, and plan to be at the store when it opens. By starting early, you’ll ensure you are arriving before the rest of the brides-to-be and getting the best of the best from the assortment.
WEEKDAY vs WEEKEND
- If you are not all about the crowds, try to shop the sale on a weekday instead of waiting for the weekend. The store will likely be less busy, and you’ll be able to try on more gowns and ask more questions.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
- Browse the store website in advance to try to identify your favourite styles and details so you know what to look for as you’re sorting through racks of sale dresses.
KEEP AN OPEN MIND
- If you’re after a true steal, don’t place too much emphasis on a few missing beads, a small spot or loose thread. With a major clearance sale, not all dresses will be in perfect condition, but it’s nothing some vision and a great seamstress can’t perfect for you.
DRESS THE PART
- You are on the hunt for the wedding dress of your dreams at a great value, and so are other fellow brides-to-be. Dressing appropriately will make the process a lot smother! Opt for comfortable shoes, clothes you can easily slip into and out of, wear nude undergarments, and bring along a pair of high heels similar to what you plan to wear on the big day.
- If you are shopping a major bridal sale, try to limit your entourage to one or two people max. Although it’s a special moment you want to share with those closest to you, having too many opinions in this scenario can obstruct you from the task at hand.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO COMMIT
- Go into the sale knowing that you may or may not walk out of the store with your dream dress at a great value. If you find it, don’t be afraid to commit. Some say the dress picks you… When you know, you’ll know!
Whether you’re looking for a designer dress or a last-minute MOB outfit, there’s something for every bride and her bridal party at the David’s Bridal Sample Sale. With sought-after labels such as WHITE by Vera Wang, Wonder by Jenny Packham and Truly Zac Posen offered at up to 70% off there’s a real chance of grabbing a truly great deal. And just think, with the pennies you’ve saved you could splash a little more on those gorgeous heels or treat your maids to a special something to say thank you.
The Street, Westfield Stratford City, Montfichet Road, London, E20 1EN
Monday – Friday 10am–9pm
Telephone: +44 (0) 208 519 4083
Waterfields Retail Park, New Road, Watford, WD17 2EU
Monday -Wednesday 10am–7pm
Telephone: +44 (0) 192 325 4086
Braehead Shopping Centre, Kings Inch Road, Glasgow, G51 4BS
Monday – Friday 11am–9pm
Telephone: +44 (0) 141 885 2121
Book an appointment if you are visiting on a Saturday or Sunday. The stores can accommodate walk in appointments but booking in advance will ensure that you avoid disappointment.
And if you’re still not convinced sample sales are for you, you can shop online from the comfort of your sofa at www.davidsbridal.com!