Romantic French Style Wedding Inspirations with a Gentle Blue and White Colour Palette
Planner + Stylist Mary Cushen and Chloe Ely Photography share their beautiful inspiration for a romantic barn wedding at Huntsmill Farm in picturesque Buckinghamshire. We love this gentle colour palette of blue and white alongside the lush greenery of the florals by Willow and Thyme! Here’s the team to tell you more;
A touch of French romance with blue and white. We went for two beautiful dresses to show how versatile the colours and style of the shoot is. The key was to take a barn with exposed stone walls and show that rustic is not the only way to dress it. Key elements included the beautiful ornate plates and the hand-painted cake.
THE COLOUR PALETTE
Blue and white were chosen as they are classic French colours and worked well with the barn, especially with the pale stone walls. There are plenty of different shades of blue so it’s important to make sure the shades chosen are complimentary and not too dark. You want to blue to stand out and be the feature for this type of palette. If only pale blue was used, it can get lost in the space and overwhelmed by the stone walls.
THE FLORAL DESIGN
We wanted to keep the florals natural throughout the shoot. We went for seasonal flowers to show how beautiful some of the lesser known flowers are. The bouquet was loosely tied with blue and cream ribbon. The hanging installation for the top table and wall installation for the ceremony area, help to fill the high ceiling space without taking over. The flowers we used included: Nigella (“Love in a Mist”), Tulips, Delphinium, Lilac, Garden style roses, including “White O’ Hara” and “Cream Yves Piaget”, Ranunculus, Eryngium, Lysimachia, Cherry blossom and a wide variety of textured foliage.
3 TIPS TO CREATE THIS LOOK
- Pick three shades of blue that compliment each other so blue is the focus but not overpowering.
- Pick a venue that has exposed natural stone walls and plenty of natural light. Light stone works much better than dark stone.
- A hand-painted cake makes all the difference. The hand-painting adds a spot of elegance and grace.
- Photography: Chloe Ely Photography
- Planner & Stylist: Mary Cushen
- Florist: Willow and Thyme
- Venue: Huntsmill Farm
- Hair pieces, Earrings and Necklaces: Rachel Sokhal Bridal Accessories
- Rings and Bracelets: Kathleen Jackson Jewellery
- Stationery: Dimitria Jordan
- Cake: Cherry Tree Cakerie
- Hair Stylist: Barberella Bridal
- Makeup Artist: Makeup by Katy
- Wedding Dress: Maggie Sottero
- at: Serendipity Brides
- Tablecloths and Napkins: Just 4 Linen
- Models: Michael Hamid
- and: Molly Cave