WEDDING PLANNING GUIDE: HOW TO USE A WEDDING COORDINATOR
It’s meeee! Does that sound just a little creepy, like ‘its behind you…’?
Moving swiftly on… a smidgen self-indulgently, today I’ll tell you a little about what I do and, hopefully to your utter amusement, let you in on some of the things I’ve handled on wedding days over the years.
bride&glory is in its 6th year now, I’ve well and truly grown out of my baby shoes and I couldn’t possibly love my job any more. I’ve really found my feet in the weird and wonderful world of weddings and with that, I’ve realised time and time again what I do best.
These days, my main bread & butter is my most b.loved (see what I did there…) Wedding Day Coordination, also known as on-the-day coordination, which accounts for a good 90% of what I do. That’s not to say I’m a one-trick-pony. b&g offers full service, from simple one-off tasks to full wedding planning, and I can do as much or as little as you need me to.
Almost all of the couples I work with have one thing in common though: they know exactly what they want. They have already let their imagination run wild and are putting in place all those little touches that will reflect their personalities so beautifully on their wedding day.
What they do need me, or someone like me, to do is to be fully hands-on, possibly with any of the
following (all bonafide examples from wedding days over the past years):
- Clear cat poop off our oh so pretty wooden decking leading to the entrance
- Pack up a bride’s suitcase (knickers ‘n all) to set the couple up in the Bridal Suite
- Rescue a frog from drowning in the fountain to be used for the group photo
- Calm down a hyperventilating bride with the help of a paper bag
- Rescue a bridesmaid’s blistered feet with 11 of my SOS kit blister plasters
- Patch up the illusionist who had been pooped on by a bird and stung by a wasp
- Fix a Maid of Honour’s broken dress strap
- Chase a deer off the lawn so it would stop eating the decorative displays
- Blow up 10 kangaroos, 2 sharks and a gigantic crocodile as a surprise for an Australian groom
- Chase a mother of the bride’s taxi up a driveway (she’d left her handbag, including house keys)
- Sweep up winter foliage before the bride descended the grand staircase
- String up a gazillion last-minute fairy lights to brighten up a rainy wedding day
- Construct an (almost) impossible to tame 6x8ft video screen
- Unwrap and display about 30 homemade frozen cakes for the dessert station
- Lend my orange b&g hammer to a bride to smash up her melting ice sculpture
- Translate between an irate Austrian wedding guest and the hotel (well – if you speak German…)
- Dry tables with the help of patio heaters (the bride really, really wanted to sit outside once the rain stopped)
I could go on…
And the weirdest thing is, I love every single bit of it. That’s what running an event is. It’s not about delegating the tougher tasks and picking just the pretty bits. It’s not about casting yourself as a clipboard-wielding tyrant who bosses others around. It’s about getting stuck in and becoming what brides, grooms and their families need you to be: a Go-to Girl/Boy they can rely on to just deal with whatever needs to be done at any given time.
I couldn’t do any of this though without a) working as a team with everyone involved with the wedding day and b) my fantastically mahoosive on-the-day SOS Kit.
As a bride, you won’t necessarily be able to do Point A (that’s more so down to surrounding yourself with the best wedding team – referring neatly back to my last post) but what you can try to do is put together the perfect kit for yourself, to handle any of the minor mishaps you might encounter.
I’ve put together a list of essentials to have with you on your wedding day and I’d be delighted to share it with you. The first twenty brides to write will get a copy in the post. Need I say more?
Just email me with your full name and address and the reference ‘B.LOVED’ and you’ll have mail shortly.
With noodles of love – see you on a month,
— Mrs b&g
- Wedding Planning and Coordination: Bride & Glory